Tuesday, December 13, 2011

My Lovely Chrysanthemum.

I came across an old video from Scholastica about a little mouse named after a flower. I showed it to Chrysan and giggled as we slid the DVD into the player. She climbed my lap and watched as the story unfolded.

Her name was Chrysanthemum and she loved, loved, LOVED her name. She loved her name so much that she would whisper it to herself, Chrysanthemum, Chrysanthemum, Chrysanthemum!

Alas, when she went to school, her classmates didn't think it was such a lovely name. "It's so long. It scarcely fits your nametag," said one. "You're named after flower?!" said another. This made school difficult for the little one. Chrysanthemum endured the teasing until one day, she and her classmates discover that their favorite teacher, Mrs. Twinkle, was named after a flower as well! Of course, all ends well.


After that short story, I held Chrysan in a tight embrace, told her how much I looooove her name and how special she was. Chrysanthemum means golden flower, I said. Chrysan therefore means golden and that makes you my golden angel! My 4 year old beamed with pride.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment